DIY Shabby Chic Sailboat

 This cute little shabby chic sailboat is quick and easy to make, but if you’d prefer to watch the full tutorial, you can check it out here on my YouTube:

https://youtu.be/yvXBywNLh7M





I started this little shabby sailboat with a scrap piece of 2x4 I had laying around. To cut the sides to look like a boat, I used my miter box hand saw (from Amazon). If you don’t have a miter box saw, you can find one on Amazon for a really affordable price or you can just leave your wood piece squared off and it’ll still look just as cute!


You’ll also need a wood dowel for this project. Again, I buy mine in a large pack off of Amazon, but you can find these in any craft store. Just make sure it’s a thicker wood dowel because we’re going to screw into these later.


I mixed up some paint for both pieces so I could get a gray/tan color. I used Apple barrel acrylic paints in the colors, warm buff, elephant gray, and burnt umber to get this exact color. I also kept my paintbrush damp while I painted them.


Once the first coat was dry, I dry brushed some more warm buff over the pieces for a beachy look.


I used a large drill bit (about the size of my dowel) and drilled a hole down into one side of my 2x4. I only drilled down about 3/4 of the way. Not all the way through.


Then I added some wood glue into the hole (any wood glue is fine).


I set my wood dowel down into the hole and let the wood glue dry completely.


Now it’s time to add the sail! I cut down a Dollar Tree fabric doily in a triangular shape to achieve the shabby chic look for my sailboat.


Then I grabbed 4 eye hooks. I get these in a large pack on Amazon.


Attach one eye hook at the opposite side of the boat from the wood dowel then add the other 3 onto the dowel. I added one to the top of the dowel, one near the center, and one at the bottom of the dowel.


Then I grabbed some white Dollar Tree string and used that to tie my doily sail to the eye hooks.

That’s it! Now you have a shabby chic little sailboat!



Check out the video at the top of this blog for this sailboat and more Coastal/Nautical DIY's!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Mache Ghost Vase

Nutcracker Headless Horseman